SR 80 (Southern Blvd) Bridge Replacement Project
January 1 to January 31, 2020
Project Progress: 68% of time elapsed
- Construction of the southern portion of the tide relief bridge
- Construction of tide relief bridge piers
- Construction of bascule (movable) bridge
- Construction of bascule bridge piers for the eastern approach
- Installation of bascule bridge spans at the western approach
- Installation of drainage on Flagler Drive and Southern Boulevard
- The south sidewalk on Southern Boulevard, from Washington Road to Flagler Drive, will be closed through summer 2020 for drainage installation and reconstruction of the roadway.
- Flagler Drive from Southern Boulevard to Worth Court North is closed through summer 2020 as the roadway is reconstructed. Access will be maintained for local traffic only. Sidewalks also will be closed. Traffic will be detoured as follows:
- Traffic going north on Flagler Drive should: Go west on Worth Court North to Washington Road; go north on Washington Road to Southern Boulevard; go east on Southern Boulevard to Flagler Drive.
- Traffic going south on Flagler Drive should: Go west on Southern Boulevard to Washington Road; go south on Washington Road to Worth Court North; go east on Worth Court North to Flagler Drive.
The navigable Intracoastal Waterway (ICCW) through the Southern Boulevard Bridge will have full channel closures from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. daily from Jan. 20 through Feb. 17 to install a submarine cable. Half-channel closures will occur from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. A full channel opening may be requested during those times if four-hour notice is provided by calling Project Superintendent Clay Bores at (407) 488-0738. During half-channel closures, the horizontal clearance through the bridge is 40 feet. The schedule of channel restrictions is published in the U.S. Coast Guard’s Local Notice to Mariners at www.navcen.uscg.gov. The Southern Boulevard Bridge opens for marine traffic twice per hour at 15 minutes and 45 minutes past the hour.